Monday was Jack's first day of Kindergarten. He is going to St. Francis de Sales, a Catholic School here in Las Vegas. As the days got closer to the big event, I think Jack was getting a little nervous...excited, but nervous. Luckily, he was going to know three little girls that would be in his class, so he wouldn't be in this all alone. We had a small celebration the night before school, with a spaghetti dinner. We lit a candle, and sang, "Happy Kindergarten to you!"
The next morning it was showtime. We had our new morning routine in place, as our departure time was going to be much earlier than normal. So, get up, get dressed, brush teeth, brush hair, head down to eat breakfast, and then IF time allows the TV can come on. But this first morning we needed to get in some pictures, too.
So. out the door we go, and we all head to school. John planned on going to work a little later so he could be there for the big day. We got there with backpack in hand, walked into class, and that's when I saw it...everyone had their lunchbox with a snack in it. I FORGOT HIS LUNCHBOX!!!! I felt terrible. I told the teachers, and they ensured me they had a snack for him. But that's not the same! I could just invision how it was all going to go down. "OK class, take out your lunchboxes for your snack." Poor Jack would look around and see the others get their lunchboxes, and his was still at home on the counter. UGH! When we got home that day, I immediately got on the computer and put together a checklist. It's now hanging on the back of the door to the garage, and we don't leave the house without going thru it all. SCARRED!!! Me...not Jack.
Here is Claire loving Jack's new desk. She thought all of this First Day of School whoo-haa was great. It's her turn on Wednesday, when she will be starting preschool three mornings a week.
So all of the moms and dads stood around the room watching the kids settle into their spots. They said a couple of morning prayers in front of us, and then the teachers told them to blow us a kiss. That was our cue....take a hike. It was the longest morning ever. I couldn't wait to pick him up and see how it all went. He looked very happy when he came out of class.
All week long, there were new things to learn. New rules, new routines. And the first week was just a half a day each day. Next week, it will include more new things...a full day each day, and lunch at school.
2 comments:
The kids all look so cute in their uniforms. That's a good idea to start them with a half of day first. I wish public school did that!
We need to get together for lunch!
Post a Comment