Sunday we headed out to Lowe's and Star Nursery, and came home with everything we needed to start our own garden. We have wanted to do something like this for a while, and we decided this past weekend was a good time to do something fun and get started. Jack's preschool has some really awesome veggies growing in the backyard. I figured, if they could grow there, why couldn't they grow in our backyard?
We headed to Lowe's in search of our planter box materials, and we walked out with some really great herb and veggie starter plants. Then we headed to Uncle Al's Famous Hot Dogs for lunch, because seeing as we were getting ready to plant vegetables at home, there was no need for anything nutritious for lunch. After lunch, we stopped in Starbucks and asked for their old coffee grounds to add to our soil. They loaded us up with a big garbage bag full, we bought a green tea as a "thanks", and we were on our way.
Back home it was nap time for Claire, so John, Jack and I got to work planting. It's a good start, and we are hopeful we will be making some homegrown salsa soon. In our garden is basil, cilantro, artichoke, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, green beans and sugar snap peas. We will see....
5 comments:
I'll bring over chips! Bye Flat Stanley!
This is awesome! I want a garden too!
I am jealous. I have been wanting to plant a garden but lack the ambition. Keep us posted!
I'd love to plant a garden too, but I'm just not that into yard work! Plus, we tried to grow peppers last year and the dog dug them all up! Good luck with the garden, let me know when you have home made salsa!
First of all -- how did you know about coffee grounds? I never would have guessed that it would help, but I'm relegated to planter boxes on the balcony, so there's not much experience, though. I do have experience with window-sill herbs, though and it sounds like you'll have a nice crop there! Somehow, though, it just doesn't seem fair that you're planting a garden and I'm scraping ice off my car. Enjoy that basil, I've raped my window plant to the point where I'm not sure it's going to come back. Someday I hope to taste your fresh-made salsa first hand!
Post a Comment