No pictures for this post, just parenting thoughts to share with my fellow moms and dads. John gets home tomorrow, after a work-related trip to Canada for two weeks. It started out feeling like it would be forever, and now all of a sudden he'll be arriving tomorrow. I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish while he was gone. Reorganize areas of the house, start decorating Claire's room, go to bed at 9:00 every night (or at least be in bed reading), get through 2 books. Really, none of this has been done. Once I finally got the kids in bed, I would go downstairs and veg in front of the TV and watch all of the shows I wanted to watch until midnight. All the cheesy DVR'ed shows. All the reality TV I want. A documentary on how 9/11 went down was on last night. Total recap of that terrible day, but John would have wanted no part of that. If I think about it...I did accomplish something, it just wasn't on my list. My accomplishment was that I actually sat and did something for a few hours that I WANTED to do---absolutely nothing!
I am loving that school is back in session, because I can get some great ideas from the teachers there. Not only for discipline...and they do help me regroup and reel in my patience...but also the ideas for keeping kids busy with simple things around the house, or outside. I can also relay a particular incident to them, and get advice on how to better deal with it. I talked with Jack's 3's teacher today about an incident that horrified me, and she laughed at it. She thought it was pretty funny, and that helped me put it in perspective. Thanks, Mrs. J!
With both kids starting activities this week, it's been hectic getting used to a new schedule. Jack's soccer is TTh 5-6:00. Have any good crockpot recipes? Send them my way, or this family is going to be hurting for dinner on those nights. Seems to be a lot of running around nowadays, but they are both having fun. My mom asked me yesterday if all of this extra activity is helping Jack sleep through the night. I suppose he is sleeping better at night, but he has been a challenge to get to GO to sleep. You would think the min. his head hit the pillow, he would be done.
I read last night, "Mom's Dirty Little Secrets", an article in my Parenting Mag. One was, "I don't like my kids today." I think we all know that feeling. While you feel guilty for having those thoughts, you think, "What happened to the little boy that used to listen when I spoke?" "Is it really THAT bad to bribe your child, just for a few minutes of peace?" Jack and Claire truly play well together, but every once in a while Jack may feel like she needs a pop on the head and takes it upon himself to get the deed done. I learned a much calmer way of dealing with that today from Mrs. Fitz. I'll be listening to her very closely this year.
Anyway, we are anxiously awaiting John's return. The kids are excited to see him, I am excited to see him and have my parenting partner back. Although, it does mean relinquishing the remote.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Whoever thought it was a secret that some days we don't like our kids? If it is, it's the WORST kept secret in the parenting world! You know, I think you're right in that you accomplished something by doing NOTHING! John will be home soon enough and the pace of life will return to normal. Enjoy some downtime where you can get it.
Good for you watching whatever you want! I'm sure 90210 was one of awesome shows! You are however crazy for staying up till midnight! In my eyes you are SUPER mom, and while you turn to Jack's teacher for advice...I will always turn to you=)
Two weeks is a long time. I'm like you... when Spencer is out of town I catch up on my shows and spend way too much time on the computer and go to bed way too late. I never sleep as good when he's not there snoring in my ear (ironically enough).
I'm thankful for the teachers and their advice too!
I'm just catching up with the blog. Great words of wisdom for me as a new mom, to be sure. I recently used my "alone" time staying up too late reading cookbooks from the library. Totally pathetic, but totally enjoyable. For some reason, reading about cooking relaxes me. Oh, and in that same immersion session, I found this AWESOME blog, to which I am now addicted (funny and useful and inspiring) and which it sounds like you can use: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ ENJOY! And let's compare notes.
Are you watching 90210, I am a little reluctant to admit that I am...faithfully.
When Billy is gone I do the same thing, a lot of eating out, reading and T.V., guilty pleasures I guess. Usually in bed around midnight. Mom's need down time too!
Post a Comment