August 31, 2008

Good-bye to my grandpa...

My grandfather, Harold Sparks, passed away this evening, and I thought I would write a quick entry to share him with everyone. He would have been 95 years old on Tuesday, and lived in Richmond, VA. I was able to make it to his 90th birthday, and was pregnant with Jack at the time. He planned a party, of sorts, for himself. The Sweet Adelines came to the retirement community to play a concert for him. If you are not familiar with them, they are an all-female barbershop harmony group. My grandfather and grandmother would attend their concerts regularly, so it was an honor to have them come and sing for his birthday. He was a magician in his younger years, and every time I would go and visit, I would ask him to show me some tricks. No matter how I pleaded, he would never tell me the way a trick was done. HIS OWN GRANDDAUGHTER!?!? He enjoyed traveling and researching ANYTHING. His mind was amazing, and he could talk to you about any subject. If he didn't know anything about it, he would want to know all he could. He was a terrific grandpa! We will miss you. Pop Pop, and hope you finally get your motorcycle when you get to heaven!

6 comments:

The Wolf Family said...

I am sorry he passed away. It sounds like he was an amazing man! Thank you for sharing him with us.

Kerry said...

I'm sorry for you loss, Joan. He sounds like a wonderful grandpa! Your family is in my prayers.

Kerry said...

p.s. I found your blog from Jenna's, I LOVE reading blogs!

Sandi Kmetty said...

Joan--

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. What a lovely tribute you wrote. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Jenna said...

Oh, Joan, so very sorry to learn of your Grandpa's passing. He certainly led a full and wonderful life. Hugs to you.

Nichole said...

I had a Pop-pop too. Sorry to hear about your loss, but it sounds like he had a great life!